The most common type of retainer, Hawley retainers are removable appliances that consist of wires, clasps and a thick plastic body that covers the roof of your mouth. The metal clasps grip your teeth, maintaining their proper alignment and protecting your beautiful new smile. At 360 Orthodontics, our Hawley retainers can be customized in a variety of fun designs and colorful hues, making them an exciting part of your orthodontic treatment.
Benefits of Hawley retainers
Hawley retainers are beneficial for a number of reasons. To begin, they are adjustable so Dr. Partovi can make refinements to ensure your teeth have the support they need. In addition, if the retainer gets damaged, it can easily be repaired – rather than replaced. And finally, as with all removable retainers, many patients appreciate the fact that they can remove the appliance when they need to eat and brush and floss their teeth, ensuring optimal oral hygiene.
The primary disadvantage of the Hawley retainer is that it is noticeable when you’re wearing it. However, it can be an excellent choice for adults and teens who don’t mind its visible appearance.
How to care for your Hawley retainer
- Don’t lose it! This is the most important part of retainer care, as retainers can be expensive to replace. Plus, you can’t wear your retainer if you’ve lost it, and that may allow your teeth to shift. When you’re not wearing your retainer, keep it in its case!
- Wear your retainer full-time. In the first two months after your orthodontic treatment, you should wear your retainer full-time, only taking it out to eat, drink, swim and play sports. Wearing your retainer as often as possible will ensure your new smile is maintained. After two months, Dr. Portovi may recommend you wear them at night only.
- Remove your retainer while eating and drinking. To keep your retainer in perfect shape, refrain from eating or drinking while wearing it.
- Denture cleansing solution daily. Your retainer can accumulate food particles and bacteria, so make sure you clean it daily with a toothbrush.
- Brush your teeth after each meal. If you put your retainer in an unclean mouth, food particles may get trapped. Avoid this by brushing your teeth after every single meal.
Why it’s important to wear your retainer
With removable retainers like the Hawley retainer, many patients are tempted to avoid wearing the appliance when it may be inconvenient. However, this is a big mistake, because wearing your retainer is one of the most important aspects of your orthodontic treatment. Once your braces are removed, the teeth naturally want to shift back to their original positions within the jaw. If they are allowed to do so, the beautiful new smile we created with your orthodontic treatment will be undone. Wearing your retainer properly prevents this from happening – ensuring your teeth remain straight and healthy for a lifetime.
BEFORE & AFTER
Dr. Partovi can correct virtually any case of crooked, protruding or misaligned teeth, restoring a beautiful and healthy smile you’re proud to show off. Please take a moment to view our before and after gallery, to see for yourself the dramatic results you can expect to achieve when you wear Hawley retainers with Dr. Partovi.